Friday, July 17, 2015

Step Six-Applique progress, at last!


Step Six is up! Can you believe that we're three-quarters of the way through the project? If you've been keeping up then you're really ready to put this thing together. Of course, I'm way behind on the applique. I've been keeping up with the piecing because I feel I must test drive the instructions. As for the applique, well for me that requires a bit of a still mind and I've had anything but.


This is where my applique progress stands. My purple and orange flowers are all done. My big red roses are done (I did those early on to check on yardage requirements.) I've yet to start on my pink flowers, and the leaves, oh the leaves I have yet to do.



I spent a quiet afternoon yesterday watching Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on Netflix and cutting out all of the leaf templates I had printed. I also broke out my handy dandy circle punches to start on the required circle templates for the quilt. I'm so frugal, all of my circles will be cut from scraps left along the edges of the pages of Wash Away Applique Sheets.

I'm using Marvy circle punches. I find these little lever deals work best for me on the WAAS. I've tried Fiskars brand, and they may work wonderfully on freezer paper, but they're a dud on the sheets.


I probably should have lead with this, but here is how the center design template looks all taped together. I'm missing that great big cutting table I had in Saginaw, but when I'm ready to lay out the design I will make an appointment with the local shop to borrow their big tables. That's a while off for me though, I still have all of those parts yet to make, and they have to be sewn together, and embellished, and and and...

And the bias stems, yikes! Using a tape measure I figured out that we're going to need about seven yards of bias for the vines. That was the easy part. Trying to figure out how much fabric we'll need to make those bias strips, and also guesstimating how much we'll need for the borders too was a bit of a challenge.

Until I found this. I'm still dithering on all one fabric or many, but just in case I have a two yard cut set aside for now. And, I have a bit of applique to do before I must decide. How's it coming? Are you all set to lay out the applique center?



2 comments:

  1. I'm hanging my head in shame here, Beth. I have been downloading all the patterns, but haven't started yet. I still have to watch your class on Craftsy so I don't make myself crazy with the applique. I really want to learn how to do it your way. BTW, I kind of like the scrappy vine idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joanie10:13 AM

      Eileen I am with you on this one. I have always enjoyed her patterns and think they are my favorite. Maybe we should do this together.

      Delete