Monday, February 8, 2016

Back to work

I love everything about winter except for the short days. Well, I love everything about winter that can be enjoyed from the inside looking out. Since my inner child has been playing with matches for years, the colder weather suits me just fine. But the short, dark days take their toll and by Christmas I'm ready to hibernate. While it feels like I can sense every minute of daylight added to the days in January, it takes until the middle of February for me to be convinced that spring truly will come again. And then I begin to come back to life.

Stitching the long borders on A Fine Romance can be tricky. With dozens and dozens of pins holding the applique shapes in place it can be downright painful to do all the twisting and turning needed to stitch down the curvy shapes.

After cursing (and bleeding) my way through the side borders I decided to pin just half of the longer top and bottom border shapes in place. The empty end of the border can be folded up and pinned together to help reduce the bulk. The pinned end (you can see it behind the sewing machine) is rolled up too. It does make it easier to turn the border fabric, but it also stands some of the pins straight up. Ouch. A good book on my iPod helps to pass the time.
The diagram for the top and bottom borders seems to trail half way across the studio floor, the remaining motifs are spread out on the shorter table. I suspect that I will run out of leaves, I lost count somewhere along the way, and I may need to make a little more bias strips to finish up the vines. But I've pinned one end of the two remaining borders, and one of those has been stitched down. I've been listening to Alex Berenson's John Wells spy series. I have three more books in the series to go. I wonder if that will be enough to finish the borders.

6 comments:

  1. I use either liquid white school or a glue stick to hold my appliqués down. I add just a little to the appliqué and give a quick press with an iron. Holds perfectly. I have some epp stars which I glued to blocks, haven't sewn them down as yet and I still can't pull them off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virginia, I use glue to hold down the pieces on smaller projects, but I've found that the glue can't hold up to the abuse needed to sew down large projects. Glue sure would hurt less!

      Delete
  2. I am so happy you ran out of leaves... I did , too. Had to make a bunch more of the little ones. and yes,..those pins are sharp... I also ran out of blue dots... lots, and lots of blue dots

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how the white background seems thicker then regular cotton, is it Kona white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, Laurie, it is a Grunge print from Moda. I love it so much I bought the entire bolt. I usually only buy fat quarters so that's saying a lot.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Beth, I will order me some also! Love it

      Delete