Sunday, October 16, 2011

Still Breathing

Well, hello.
For the last two and a half months I have been singled mindedly working on the book. Dawn to dusk, and sometimes beyond, living the book. But so far I've made all the deadlines, more or less.
I can't help but wonder if I had allowed the same bravado that let me agree to this timeline carry me through the work if I'd be in better shape. I must admit that all too often my courage has failed me and I've considered tossing in the towel. Way too much of my energy has been spent on worry, but then I guess that's what worriers do.
The sample quilts are done and on their way to the publisher. That's a really big box to check off my to-d0 list. I'm quite pleased with how they turned out, I hope you will like them too. It's been a really long time since I've made quits that are just piecing, no applique. I did suffer a little applique withdrawal at first, but it quickly subsided as I fell into the lovely hum of my machine. I've sewn more in the last three weeks than I have in the last two years put together. And I liked it very much, thank you.
In the next week I will be working on the rewrite and finishing the step outs. I like editing, I like making the words sharper, cleaner. It's so much easier to rearrange words than to string together brand new words. My editor has given me great suggestions to help me get the words into top form. Somewhere along the way I'll show you some of the paperwork involved in writing a book with a publisher. Let's just say that I've changed ring binder sizes a couple of times, and still need more room.
So, it's back to work for me. My final deadline is November 1, but Quilt Market (which starts on Oct. 27 or so) will cut that short for me. I just wanted to check in to let you know that I was still among the living. Finally, the light at the end of the tunnel is no longer an oncoming train.

No comments:

Post a Comment