Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks

Yes, I'm a little late in coming to the party. The blog hop for the new issue of Quiltmaker's 100 blocks was a while ago. I was invited to take part, but the invitation came while I was fighting with a hacked computer and a dying blog. Very frustrating.

But they still have a contest going on. It's a "name that designer" puzzle that will be a snap if you have the latest issue. And for a few minutes of your time you could win four of the blocks from this issue! It's for US residents only, sorry! But for a few minutes of fun go here.

My block is on the cover again. It's such an honor!




I really enjoy doing these blocks. It's a small thing, just twelve and a half inches square, and I don't have to quilt it or make a zillion, although sometimes I really want to.


Like this one. Believe it or not, the applique is fairly simple, the shapes are really easy. The fabrics came mostly from my stash, although the red and yellow are left overs from a project in the new book. I have a small collection of polka dots, they were perfect for this project.





And look at what simply sewing a bunch of the blocks together will do!

For this one, which is my favorite, I eliminated the hourglass block background and just positioned them on a single background fabric.

I love the secondary designs the wings create. I may just make myself a little stack of butterflies to work on this summer. It would be a great tv time project, or perfect to enjoy a little quiet time on the patio.



I like this one too, and when the background fabrics are different colors but the same value (as they are in my actual block) the subtle harlequin patterned background could be killer.

The nice thing about my applique technique is that I won't have to decide until the butterflies are done. I just need to make up a couple hundred butterflies (that should be a good start) and then decide where they need to live.

But I do have to decide if I'm making them all the same color, or random, maybe will all the same bodies? What do you think? What would you do?

1 comment:

  1. Stella11:33 AM

    I like the hour glass background and I really think that the butterflies would look absolutely gorgeous done in the 1930's style fabric but keeping the body in the same fabric. Just my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete